Thursday, February 24, 2011

Four Months and a Bug

Gunner turned four months old on February 23rd! He's getting so big. He is learning how to hold his toys by himself to chew on them, which is really cute. He might be cutting some teeth soon, there's been a lot of drool and he goes crazy when I give him a chilled teether ring.
His four month appointment was scheduled for this morning, but yesterday he was sick and his doctor recommended waiting a week since he will be getting another round of shots. Yesterday afternoon I thought he seemed a little fussy and his forehead seemed warmer than normal, so I checked his temp and he was running a slight fever. I was hoping that it would go down so I could keep his doctors appointment. He fell asleep not long after he woke up from a nap, so I just held him to let him sleep. I could tell he didn't feel good. When he woke up, he was crying like something was hurting, and he wouldn't eat. I changed his diaper and took his temp, and it was up to 101.2. I quickly called his doctor to see if they could get him in, and they could, but I had less than 15 minutes to get there! I hadn't dried my hair or anything, I looked horrible. So I threw on a hat, grabbed his diaper bag which had only one diaper in it, and ran out the door. Thankfully it was right before their office closed so there were no other patients. I saw the nurse practitioner and she checked his ears and decided he had a small ear infection in one ear, and the other looked like it was starting to get that way. She dug lots of wax out of his ears and he did not like that one bit! I had to hold him still, and it hurt my heart knowing he was feeling bad and having to deal with someone digging in his ears too. She called in a presctiption for him and I picked it up on my way home. I called Daniel to let him know what we were doing... I had not been able to finish my chores for the day so the house was a mess. He was so sweet though. He picked up some infant tylenol and take out so I wouldn't have to cook dinner. He rushed home and took Gunner while I got Gunner's medicine ready. After Gunner had taken the tylenol, you could tell he quickly started feeling better! He ate and went to bed, and slept all night! I did not: my head is so congested, my nose is running like a faucet, and my lymph nodes are swollen and sore.
Gunner's fever went down and he's been great all day! It was a very maternal moment though when I was holding him and he felt so bad. I'm just glad he got some sleep and isn't running a fever anymore.
I feel pretty awful today though. My dad is coming up to keep me company and help with Gunner. I hope I get over this soon, it's hard being sick and being a mom at the same time! I don't know how my mom did it all those years!

1 comment:

mandyhamrick@gmail.com said...

You are doing a great job at being a wonderful Mom! I am so proud of you and hope you and Gunner feel better soon.