Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cloth Diapers: Day One

The first day of cloth diapers was interesting, to say the least. I was pretty tired and hadn't been getting much sleep the last couple of nights, so that didn't help. We ended up getting things pretty much figured out though so I feel better about it today. Here's a quick rundown of how the day went:

We woke up around 8am and put on the first diaper! I had never put a cloth diaper on any baby so I was kind of just winging it. The first was a prefold insert with a cute little cow print newborn cover. I was used to mostly changing his diapers before he ate, every three to four hours, but I quickly found out that might not be often enough. He fell asleep on me and when he woke up, pee had leaked out of every possible place and was all over both of us! I was distraught..but quickly decided I probably just put it on wrong. On the next two covers (I went through a total of 4 covers in one day...) I used the same type of prefold and still had leak problems, but once I changed to a different insert I decided I just hadn't washed the others enough. They're currently being washed and dried a couple more times. Hopefully that's the problem and it can be corrected with additional washes. By the time I had it figured out, it was bedtime! We used an overnight diaper last night with no problems! He actually slept for 8.5 hours last night (PRAISE THE LORD) so I call that a success.

I feel better about it after trying a few different inserts. I watched a couple of videos online of different ways to fold them too, so I might try some of them at some point. Currently, I am concerned with how bulky they look on him. It's almost comical! He's so small so I have to fold them over in the front, so they go down to his knees! The good thing about this is all his pants fit better now! Ha!

Here are some pictures of him in the diapers. These are just the first two of the four he wore yesterday.




1 comment:

KD said...

Congrats to you for trying cloth diapers!!! You'll grow to love them and become a little obsessed... it's not a bad thing just something that happens I think to cloth diapering mommas-me included! I just randomly clicked on your link from lisa's site at babiesforthebrowns. Good luck!! Karla