Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Teething Blues

Gunner is cutting teeth. He is cutting his first molars. He currently has one fully in already. That one wasn't too terrible, but it's these next three that are causing problems. Molar 2 is almost all the way through, 3 is halfway in, and 4 is mocking me just underneath the gums. All three of these are hurting him at the same time. That's why it's so bad.
How can I tell when he's teething? Well, aside from being able to see them, there are a few signs. First, he drools...a lot. Next comes the chewing. He has his hand stuck so far back into his mouth he can probably feel his small intestine. Seriously though, he just digs at his gums constantly until it's over. This is usually accompanied by extreme neediness. He is usually quite independent, but when those teeth start coming in he is constantly in my lap. He doesn't want to play or sit alone and he requires cuddling most of the day. He just lays on me quietly, and if it's really bad he cannot sit still. Fourth, he has the most incredible dirty diapers. He poops like 5 times a day, and half of them are diarrhea diapers. (Yes, gross) I wish someone could figure out why this happens with teething. The last, and by far, most exhausting sign of teething is the refusal of sleeping at night. The last time he was teething he would wake up many times at night. Now that his molars are coming in, once he wakes up he will not go back to sleep unless I'm holding him or in the bed with him. Last night he actually wouldn't go to sleep to begin with unless I was holding him.
Every kid has different symptoms of teething, but these are Gunner's. He feels miserable, and I hate that he is hurting. It's something every kid has to go through though. If I had to, I would do it all over again. I probably will at some point. Until then, we will eat a lot of cold fruit, and after he's done I will sleep... Someday I will sleep again.

No comments: